schooling-for-the-futureAs the Edublogs Challenge comes to an end for this year, we have an opportunity to reflect on what we have learnt and what blogging means to us as students and teachers. By doing so we can also enter our blogs in the Edublogger competition for a blog award.

This post has been written on “the difference blogging has made to our life at school and home? e.g. how has it changed how you learn, the challenges of blogging as part of The Edublogger’s Share Your Blogging Experience

We started our class blog at the beginning of this year knowing very little about what we were going to achieve by the end of the year. I have to say that as a teacher working with a class blog and 30 student blogs has been a challenging and time consuming learning experiences, however, it has also been one of the most rewarding! This has been an exciting learning journey that 5/6C have been able to travel together. I truly believe that it has been empowering for my students to not only learn about using blogs but to also teach me, their peers and other teachers and students around. We have used blogging as the method for learning how to use the Internet safely and appropriately. We have developed skills and vocabulary that allows us to work successfully with things like widgets, posts, RSS feeds, links, images and tag clouds just to name a few. The ICT knowledge that has been developed and the blogging jargon that my students now access confidently is amazing! Our blogging experience has also allowed us to look at literacy in a new more modern way.

This year I replaced one of my regular literacy group activities with ‘blogging’ as the the students were asked to read, comprehend, respond to and write many different text types. What is so rewarding about this new literacy approach is that suddenly our class’s reading and writing activities became more purposeful and authentic! The students love the fact that they are writing for a world wide audience, that people are actually reading their writing and leaving comments and that they can engage in meaningful conversations with students around the world. Two students in particular told me about how exciting this was for them. One students received a comment thanking her for her post about creative commons, as the teacher was using it to teach her own students. Another student was praised for her creative writing skills and encouraged to pursue this endeavor in the future, highlighting her talent.

When you see your student’s faces light up because they feel proud of their achievements you know that quality learning experiences are taking place. I thank Edublogs and the Edublogger for their easy to follow guides, for their support and dedication to encouraging young students and their teachers to engage in the blogging world, as this is the type of learning that will dominate our future classrooms. I’d also like to take the opportunity to thank the edublogs blogging community for communicating with my students, you have made learning exciting for them.

I would highly recommend taking on the blogging challenge to any teacher or student out there who is looking for a more relevant and engaging learning experience.

This week 5/6C have also been reflecting on their blogging experiences. Please check out their posts and see what they have learnt.

image: http://momsrecipesandmore.blogspot.com/